Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Caprese salad.. Make 3 servings for $5...

Ok, so I will admit, I don't love basil! ( insert shocking scream here) I know I know.. That's sacrilege! I feel it's too floral tasting and over powers a dish. I do use it sparingly. Like in my caprese salad. Layers of marinated tomato and mozzarella.. I love how the Italians layer and stack everything.. And even if they begin to lean, it's still ok!

2 large tomatoes $1.00
5 basil leaves*
1 ball of fresca mozzarella $3.50
1/3 c. Zesty Italian dressing $0.50
1/4 tsp. of salt*
1 tbsp olive oil*
2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette*

Slice tomatoes into roughly 1/4 in. Thick slices. Sprinkle with salt. You should get atleast 9 hearty slices. Place in a container or ziploc with dressing. Marinate in fridge over night. Once ready, slice mozzarella ball into 9 slices. Build salad. Each salad should have 3 tomato 3 mozzarella. Drizzle with oil and balsamic. Roll basil leaves and thinly dice. Sprinkle over salad. Enjoy!

so 3 steps:
Slice and marinate tomatos
slice mozzarella
stack salad, drizzle and garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment